Spider veins, also known as telangiectasia, occur when capillaries (the smallest of blood vessels) become permanently dilated and rupture, spreading blood to other capillaries and leaving a fine red or blue trail beneath the skin.
Spider veins can be caused by genetics, age, smoking, alcohol, obesity, sun exposure, occupation, medical conditions, trauma and a sedentary lifestyle.
There are steps you can take to help prevent spider veins, including:
1) Exercise on a daily basis to strengthen your legs, veins and your circulation
2) Try to maintain a healthy weight to avoid too much weight on your legs
3) Don't cross your legs when sitting and try to elevate your legs when resting
4) Don't stand still for too long and rest your legs often
5) Wear SPF as often as you can, even when it isn't sunny
6) Wear low-heeled shoes and loose clothing
7) Use quality skincare products - available in clinic
8) Consider treatments to reduce spider veins - available in clinic.
If you'd like to talk through your skincare needs or find out more about any of our treatments, simply fill in the form below and we'll be in touch to book your consultation.